How You Can Help

Report Animal Cruelty and Neglect

Always report animal cruelty and neglect. Even minor cases, because these can be tell-tale signs of more to come. All states have anti-cruelty laws and all law enforcement personnel, police, sheriff, etc., can enforce all state laws. However, local police or sheriff’s departments often don’t want to deal with animal abuse complaints. If that’s the case, be sure they direct you to the proper authority.

Before you call, make sure you have the exact location such as city and street address. Explain the nature of the abuse or neglect, a description of the animal and the time and date the incident occurred.

You can also personally file a complaint. In fact, if you are the only witness, it may be the only recourse.

In any case, if you give your name, address and phone number, it will be kept confidential.

Always follow up to make sure conditions have changed. If you have reported the cruelty or neglect and animals continue to suffer, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining the inadequacies of your town’s law enforcement departments. That usually gets the attention of elected and appointed officials and, more times than not, will end up benefiting animals.

In New Jersey, call 800-582-5979 or visit NJSPCA.

For other areas contact your local police department.

Also see The New Jersey Certified Animal Control Officer’s Association for more information.